Lecture 15: Cameras & Lenses (41)
Dezhang1999

I always wonders how you take Long-Explosure Photography, is it's possible to take it in our phone?

LinyueSong

Depends on your phone. On iPhone, you can adjust exposure time when you are in night mode. I believe some Sony smartphones give you more camera controls. It is easiest to do it on proper cameras.

ashvindhawan

How does long exposure on, say, iPhones, resolve the inevitable amount of noise that comes from human error? The image is much more clear than expected given how much my hand moves during the shot.

micahtyong

iPhones probably have some stabilization mechanism to resolve human error.. but it could probably be improved. For example, on an iPhone XR, if you're taking a picture to the side while walking forward with the default exposure time, you'll notice that one side of the image will look distorted. The reason for this feat may be that the exposure was too long and couldn't account for the "human error" of walking forward while taking the photo.

NKJEW

@Dezhang1999 Super late to the party but I believe if you have the "live photo" feature you can turn any live photo into a long exposure