Lecture 18: Color Science (119)
tyleryzhu

I wonder if it's possible to classify all possible metamers for a given final display perceived color. It would be interesting to observe where in the real world they appear and see why different environments gave rise to them.

greeknerd1

What is the intuition behind having infinite dimension spectra? I'm having trouble understanding this part.

JefferyYC

Here is how I understood infinite dimension: as an example, R, G, B is a 3 dimensional vector since you would have three number representing the R, G, B intensity. Now imagine along the visible spectrum there are infinite wavelength values (since it is continuous), not just R, G, B. To represent colors in this full spectrum, you need an infinite dimension vector.

shreyaskompalli

To add on to the intuition behind infinite dimensions, here's how I understand it. Light doesn't exist as just combinations of red, green, and blue; these are qualities attributed to our view of light due to the physical constraints of our eyes. Instead, light exists in infinite "dimensions", or colors. However, since we can only view light in these 3 cones (S, M, and L), we have to filter our view of "true light" through these three cones, which represent the three dimensional projection of the infinite dimension spectra.

aliner-wang

Hmm I can see how Metamers are very useful in the computing world where we could find an alternative color composition easier produce than something otherwise complex. I guess it just seems kind of repetitive in the real world? Why have several colors that "look" the same when the world may look more appealing or interesting if we could detect more colors?