Lecture 20: Image Processing (19)
tlswoo

I find the idea of exploiting certain "flaws" in human perception for efficient visual computing to be very interesting. If we don't know what we're missing out on, are we missing out on anything at all? Are there other modes of human perception that can be/have already been optimized in a similar manner? With hearing, frequencies that are at the extremes of being high/low are often inaudible to humans, so they can probably be trimmed out in similar fashion.

Rishiparikh

I found your comment very interesting, and thought it brings up an idea that's I've heard from Dan Garcia - There's no such thing as free lunch. I think that applies here as well. For every design decision we make, we have to sacrifice something else. In many topics, the most optimal algorithm sacrifices something that we cannot see, or utilizes information about a specific problem. In that regard, I have not read up on much about it's usage in audio, but I'm sure there must be something similar to audio - metamers.

JefferyYC

Another interesting human perception flaw is regarding how we percieve shadows. Human usually can't realize if a shadow has the wrong shape or orientation, since shadow processing comes preattentively. Therefore when making complex animations cutting budget to create real shadows might be an option.