Lecture 20: Image Processing (2)
gowenong

Really good and thorough explanation of JPEG compression is linked here

gowenong

[deleted]

ethanweber

What are types of experiments that show the facts about the human visual system being (1) less sensitive to chromaticity than luminance and (2) less sensitive to high frequency sources of error?

chethus

PNG images generally seem to be quite bit smaller than images while also often being more accurate and detailed. What are the differences between JPEG and PNG that result in such substantial differences? And are there areas where JPEG is better or is PNG considered an outright improvement over JPEG?

greeknerd1

I'm wondering what the disadvantages are of using JPEG compression over another image type compression. Is there such a thing as PNG compression? And what would be the advantages of that?

AadithSrinivasan

I remember a while back using png and jpeg template images for template matching with opencv and recall that using the same image in a different format might have had different results. Would it have something to do with the way the images are compressed?

phoebeli23

What are big vs low frequency sources of error?

aaronsun1030

After briefly looking through the wikipedia pages for PNG and JPEG, it seems like one of the main differences is that PNG uses lossless compression (via DEFLATE, an algorithm that uses some concepts from Huffman encoding) whereas JPEG is exclusively lossy compression. I can imagine scenarios where each would be useful: PNGs might be good for maintaining image quality when space isn't an issue, whereas JPEG can be used for compressing images when there are a large quantity of them. However, I'm not entirely sure how PNG compares to some other lossless image storage methods like GIF and TIFF.

Dezhang1999

@aaronsun1030 What is the difference between lossless compression and exclusively lossy compression? But anyway, your comment are very helpful infos for me.

rubywerman

Good comparison of the different types of image files: https://99designs.com/blog/tips/image-file-types/#JPEG. It's good to use JPEG when printing/dealing with online images. This is the preferred type for sending/sharing online because of its compression. However, there is NO transparency channel.