Lecture 21: Light Fields (23)
gowenong

It's interesting to me that these disk images appear hexagonal from a distance, but upon zooming in they are clearly circular

Aekus

That might be because hexagonal tiling is the densest way of arranging circles, so densely packed circles as shown here appear in a honeycomb pattern, the same pattern that hexagons appear in.

yfz3357

I wonder what would the computer do about the empty spaces between the circular pixels. Do they linearly interpolate it? K nearest neighbours?

anikgupta2013

If I'm not mistaken, the zoomed out version of this image is not the image displayed. Instead, they average out the values of each of these microimages to create a grid of pixels. So each of these circles will correspond to one color for a single pixel.

aramk-hub

That would make sense, since if we had spaces between the circular pixels we might some very inaccurate images with spaces that seem incorrect. If we average out the values of each of these microimages, we get a smooth blend from one part to another.

greeknerd1

I'm confused as to why each zoomed in individual pixel looks like a circular/hexagonal shape. Is this expected or is it a result of some sort of phenomenon?

shreyaskompalli

As others mentioned earlier, hexagons are the most efficient way of utilizing space since they combine the packability of a square with the optimal area-to-circumference ratio of a circle. I'm not quite sure if the photons hitting the camera lenses also follow this trait, but I imagine it's something related to this.