Lecture 22: Virtual Reality (10)
Dezhang1999

I have never seen this before, but I think a video game would do the same here, do don't know what's the purpose of this.

greeknerd1

I wonder if office meetings will be held in VR instead of zoom in the near future. Will they be realistic and comparable to an in-person office meeting?

micahtyong

I think it's funny how, even in a VR world where the users are in control the environment, they still would choose to host their meeting in a conference room like this. Perhaps more meetings would take place in quiet nature settings, or in some futuristic workplace environment. Overall, I wonder how the norms of office meetings would change given the newfound flexibility that VR offers.

NKJEW

@greeknerd1 I have seen a couple people who advocate this approach, in particular because being able to interact with avatars that have apparent presence (which is not easily realizable outside of VR) can potentially greatly improve the meeting atmosphere, far beyond the limitations of a screen. In the multiplayer VR games I've played, interactions feel a lot more palpable because people can approach you in apparent physical space (which of course isn't always a good thing), so to me it does make sense why some offices would hope to employ this sort of strategy.

Of course, it's still quite a bit of hassle for not a ton of payoff in my opinion, and while being able to interact in a realistic space can be nice, if you aren't actually there it's probably preferable to lean into that aspect by allowing people to tune out if they need to. Since if someone isn't paying attention while in VR, it's painfully apparent (but much less so over Zoom, for example).

melodysifry

The one drawback I see for this in terms of VR as it stands now is that as long as the VR headsets are involved, a VR simulated meeting like this will never be able to replicate the experience of seeing other people's facial expressions and body language. In this sense, even though the feeling of sitting in a 3d meeting room might feel more authentic than sitting at home on Zoom, the key component that makes in-person meetings what they are is still missing

ananthmrao

@melodysifry maybe in the future they can set a camera in front of a user (or even very small ones in the headset) to track their facial expressions, thereby allowing facial expressions to be rendered in VR meetings