Lecture 22: Virtual Reality (29)
sagnibak

Are real eyepieces this simple? I would think that such simple eyepieces would lead to various kinds of aberrations.

shreyaskompalli

From an engineering perspective, I wonder how the developers of this tech were able to fine tune the viewing angle to look precisely like the normal human field of view. I'd imagine that a lot of testing went into this, but it's incredibly important that it looks exactly like the normal human eye. Otherwise, the VR headset would be disorienting and off-putting.

vho827

Looking at this diagram, a question that comes in to mind would just be would the presence of an additional lens, for example eye glasses, impact the image delivered by this eyepiece lens? For example, could there be any artifacts due to the other lens so close to the eye, I feel like I experienced some degree of screens having some of their colors separate as they get closer with phones or TV screens in the past.

melodysifry

Our eyes have the ability to selectively focus on objects that are at different depths- eg when I focus on my computer screen, everything in the background is out of focus, and when I focus on an object past my screen, my screen goes out of focus. Is this something that VR will ever be able to recreate, given that everything that is potentially in the foreground or background is flattened onto a single display?