Lecture 22: Virtual Reality (37)
isaorionlehrmann

Considering the human's visual field of view, it seems that we have an advantage in the horizontal direction with part of the cheek and brow making it a little more difficult to see in the vertical direction. I would assume it's because during our evolution we dealt with more dangers at around our level, not many gigantic flying tigers and what not. And in terms of VR engineers would have to keep this in mind while creating VR for the human eye

tthvar

Interesting, the woodcock bird has a 360 degree view of field per eye due to the eye's being in the side of its head.

shreyaskompalli

The evolutionary reasons for the qualities of the human eye are fascinating. In this case, what @isaorionlehrmann said about facing more threats at our level makes a lot of sense. As for the 360 degree field of view for the bird, I suppose this is because a bird can be attacked by other birds swooping down, or by ground animals when the bird is scavenging for food on the ground.

crystal-zq-wang

I mentioned briefly in another slide about how increasing field of view can help alleviate motion sickness in VR gaming, but this slides really puts that into perspective - a lot of first person games' FOV is very narrow, ~60-75 degrees, whereas humans have much larger FOV naturally, which causes a mismatch and can lead to nausea

bernardmc8

I wonder how the human visual field of view interacts with the FOV you can set in games. I'm not sure exactly how this works for VR but in most normal games on a screen you can easily change the FOV a fairly large amount in the settings. Do VR games have to match natural human FOV for it to look good, and if were able to play around with the FOV would it look very disorienting/weird?

BohanYu

Totally agree on Crystal. Human brains are accustomed to extracting motion / mapping information from a large FOV. A small FOV hinders such ability and can make one feel dizzy.