Lecture 22: Virtual Reality (6)
gowenong

A really cool VR experience you can try is Sandbox VR in San Francisco. You can play between 5 co-op experiences with varying themes with friends and the haptics and game mechanics feel pretty darn good

ethanweber

I did an experience like this with my family and highly recommend it. Very cool how realistic is seems and how they render the other participants in the room with motion capture.

crystal-zq-wang

I've messed around with my friend's VR headset to play games but I couldn't really get into it because I got motion sickness from the first person perspective, which seems to be a not uncommon issue! Some suggestions I've found online to this directly involve concepts we've learned in the class: increasing FOV, increase the resolution, etc

adityaramkumar

There's a lot of work companies like Meta are doing to invest in VR gaming. I've personally played games like Beat Saber, etc, but there are a lot of first person shooter games coming out which is what people typically do on their PC. It's very interesting and exciting to see what comes out and how people react to it.

NKJEW

Something I really like about developing games for VR is how much of a factor the scale of the world becomes. I feel like in a lot of other mediums - even on a big movie screen - it's hard to really conceptualize how big something is, because the camera can be in sort of arbitrary places, and even in a first person context, you don't have a very strong sense of depth. In VR, on the other hand, something that's the size of a room really feels like it's that big, and that allows you to really push the boundaries of the player experience. One of the first games I made featured a giant worm creature, and even though it was just as low-poly as any of our other models, it was a terrifying presence just because it felt like it could actually eat you.

Also, on an unrelated note, it's sort of interesting @crystal-zq-wang that you mention increasing FOV, because I've seen a lot of games do the opposite to help with motion sickness. Often times, I've played games that have a "helmet" or "blinders" option which channels your vision in the forwards direction, which is also sometimes automatically enabled when your character is moving at high speed. Another major factor for people when it comes to VR sickness is a dissonance between in-game motion and IRL motion. If your character is able to accelerate on their own, such as with a joystick or because you're on a moving vehicle, that can often exacerbate a feeling of sickness (although a lot of people even experience it in stationary games like Beat Saber or Super Hot, so there's probably more to it).

greeknerd1

How much more realistic can VR become? Are the current limitations to VR due to hardware constraints?

Ishil-Puri

That's a really interesting question. I would read into Retinal Projection. It essentially draws the display directly into the retina of your eye thus eliminating some hardware constraints of the actual headset. I would be curious to see how this tech evolves and if it adopted in the future as the applications for such tech seem infinite.