Lecture 8: Mesh Representations and Geometry Processing (75)
phoebeli23

The left image appears to have higher resolution / is more true to life. Is it always better to have uniform triangles?

NKJEW

@phoebeli23 I'd guess that it's not always better to have uniform triangles, as with the same number of triangles you potentially lose a lot of fine detail (as shown in these two examples here, where the face on the right looks less "messy", but also perhaps unrealistically smooth).

Still, I bet that having relatively consistent sizing in your triangles helps with texture mapping (@CalArsen mentioned this on slide 77), and it likely also makes subdivisions much more natural, which would help to create higher or lower LOD models for different situations.

somaniarushi

I'm a little bit curious about why we need isotropic remeshing at all — what is the point of making all the triangles equally sized?

GuardHei

@somaniarushi i think having a relative uniform density of triangles is good when you want to deform the mesh for animation purpose or use the mesh to do physic simulation.