Lecture 16: Camera & Lenses Cont. (5)
yzliu567

The image of a point at distance DND_N or DFD_F will occupy the full sensor. Is it still constidered 'acceptable' sharpness?

ChangyiYang

Is the depth of the field the same as the nclip and fclip we used to initialize the ray in Project 3.1 part 1?

rsha256

Is A vertical or horizontal distance?

modatberkeley

I remember hearing about split diopters used in film to focus on two subjects at different depths at the same time — I wonder how this works? See an example of the effect here: https://youtu.be/RJOrTDaCa7A?t=148

Zc0in

I think AA is vertical distance, which is the height of the lens

geos98

So an actual lens would occupy some (non-zero) length (i.e., light would travel inside the length as well). I am wondering what implication would this bring compared to the ideal lens discussed here? Do we just consider the mid-point of the actual lens to be where our computation centered on? Thank you!

sZwX74

I think that even though the actual lens is not ideal, it is still manufactured to focus to certain points, which is what we really care about in these calculations.

joeyzhao123

Where does the f^2 come from?

pcg108

@ChangyiYang, I don't believe those two are related. Depth of field is regarding the range of depths where we can bring an image into focus, but nclip and fclip are for when to cut off rays for ray tracing computation