Lecture 21: Virtual Reality (3)
kkoujah

I hope to see a future where the way we experience AR and VR isn't through headsets but through holograms or different ways, we project light that resembles objects incorporated into our everyday life.

LeslieTrue

Agree with @kkoujah. I heared about an idea somewhere which describes that a top-level product often starts with popularity and high user stickiness in a small group of people. It also indicates why headset-based metaverse failed to sale--few people, among all those who have used it, think he/she can't leave this device.

jierui-cell

I often see characters in VR video games, together with conference room settings etc., that looks like out-of-date 2004-era original Xbox NPC, which are usually robber man with very few difference in head-size and have awkward bodies. I was wondering whether this issue is more related to the software side where game developers have not been able to produce high-quality figures that fit VR setting yet, or it is more due to the hardware issue that figures need to be designed simple and stupid to adjust for limitations in computational power?

Staffjamesfong1

@jierui-cell It is more of the latter. VR headsets must run at much higher framerates than a conventional display, and must render multiple viewpoints simultaneously. In addition, some devices need GPU's to be low-power enough to actually run inside the headset. These extra limitations put much stronger restrictions on what can be rendered with current technology.

akhilvemuri

@kkoujah I could not agree more! Having seen VR emerge as a mainstream technology since 2016, I believe something that allows portability and compactness, like smart glasses, would break into the mainstream market more. At the moment, the platform isn't accessible enough for the every-day consumer, but like smartphones, it should be possible to transform them into something much more user-friendly.