Lecture 13: Global Illumination & Path Tracing (57)
pranavkolluri

One thing I'm noticing as we add more bounces is that our image gets more and more blown out (we're clipping on the brightness and starting to lose detail). This isn't ideal since the point of extra bounces is to increase lighting detail, but here it's getting blown out. Would this be the point at which you'd start to add some sort of exposure control to your model or some sort of contrast reduction?

colinsteidtmann

I wonder why the image gets more overexposed/"blown out." Like someone else said in a previous slide, in real life we have infinite bounces (I think and they think), so what's broken in our model that's causing the image to get overexposed?

razvanturcu

I think that the image gets overexposed by adding more bounces because the materials used in this scene are highly reflective. Real-world surfaces absorb some light (even mirrors, which are considered highly-reflective absorb a tiny amount of light I think because no material is perfectly reflective). Since this is a computer generated image, in which we try to mimic perfect conditions, I don't think that light is absorbed as much as in the real world causing the image to be "blown out".