Lecture 14: Material Modeling (65)
rishiskhare

How do you decide how much noise to add? Is this just chosen by inspection?

ShonenMind

@rishiskhare I think it should depend mostly on the type of "vibe" you want for the image, so yeah, mostly through inspection. If the image you're trying to create is much more rustic and, for a lack of a better term, "lo-fi", then a lot of noise will help create a more "gritty", aged appearance.

aidangarde

How accurate can these functions get? Makes sense to write a function for simple patterns or easy random ones like rust on a car. Could you write a good function for grass, or for sand? I assume you could, but it probably would not be less expensive than just applying a texture to an image. (in terms of generating the function, not executing it).

brianqch

I wonder if there is a certain library of noise functions out there that contain different ways to represent a particular type of texture. For example, something rubber vs. a brushed metal.

Liaminamerica2

@brianqch researching online, I came across a Noise function called the Perlin noise, which is commonly used for terrain generation in video games, procedural textures for materials such as wood and marble, and in vector flow fields for the initial values of a system.