Lecture 14: Material Modeling (8)
jayc809

Is this the function used to model fogs, smogs, and clouds? I suppose they would be quite similar to this one since we have both reflections and refractions. With this one input ray and two output rays model, we would be able to see both what is behind the fog but also have outward bouncing lights. However, I think this function might not be perfect as it would create too clear of an image (e.g. the windows) and may only apply to see-through, glassy materials as objects tend to be less defined and blurrier when viewed through fogs/smogs/clouds. Perhaps we need more refracting and reflecting rays?

aravmisra

@jayc809 based on an overview I posted a few slides back from Imperial College of London, I think you are spot on with how fogs/smogs/clouds can be modeled- I believe fog is specifically mentooned. With regards to the second point you brought up regarding transparency, I think the ratio of refrating and reflecting rays would indeed have to be toyed with- though I have no evidence for this, it just seems logical. Wondering if anyone could weigh in or provide any links to references that might explicitly cover this? I am super curious because I've been trying to model the Golden Gate bridge as a side project for the class and I think having the classic bay area fog would be great!

diana-qing

I'm curious how reflective material that's not smooth would be rendered differently from reflective material that's smooth. For example, how would you capture the wrinkles or textures that are in aluminum foil while simultaneously capturing how it's reflective? Or how would you capture a piece of cloth that's reflective but also textured because it's covered in sequins?

maldenz

I was wondering, to achieve absorption, how do we deal with the color difference between the actual scenery and the reflections of them, which is affected by the color of the object. Does this also work like superpositioning ambient light, diffuse reflection, and specular reflection?

yangbright-2001

I remember something learned in physics that the color we perceived is what not absorbed by the material and hence are reflected into our eyes. For example, when we see the color of an object is black, this means that object absorbs all light rays; conversely, when we see the color of an object is white, this means the object reflects all light rays

YouxunLkiu

To add on what yangbright's comment, the object given here one perceived to be color less, and the other one perceived to be blue. So, in terms of physics, the transparent one does not absorb any visible light wave. The blue one however, absorbs anything other than violet/blue light wave, hence appeared as this color.