Lecture 15: Cameras & Lenses (106)
rahulk29

Even though bokeh is an artifact of camera non-ideality (out of focus blurring), many rendering programs, such as Blender, make it relatively easy to intentionally add bokeh to renders. This makes renders look more photorealistic.

weinatalie

It’s interesting how unintentional camera artifacts such as bokeh, lens flares, chromatic aberration, etc. are now visual effects that people purposefully try to replicate for the “aesthetic.” The inclusion of these effects often make us feel that an image looks more realistic, which is ironic; these effects serve to simulate how the scene might be viewed through a camera, and not how it might be viewed through our own eyes. It’s possible that these effects are appealing to us because they’re more cinematic, as film shot by camera would obviously contain these artifacts.

keeratsingh2002

how do different aperture shapes influence the aesthetic quality of the bokeh in a photograph?

508312

How would one programmatically make this effect to be as real as possible?

sueyoungshim

The slide mentions that bokeh takes on the shape of the lens aperture. This piques my curiosity about how different lens coatings and glass elements might also affect the texture and color of the bokeh. Could the choice of lens glass and coatings be as critical as aperture shape in achieving a particular bokeh quality?

emily-xiao

I actually really like seeing interesting bokeh in photography, so it was nice to recontextualize this concept as a visual artifact in lecture. Also curious to explore how depth-of-field effects are algorithmically generated to mimic this phenomenon.

GarciaEricS

When we squint of eyes, Bokeh tend to become less circular and more elliptical, becoming a lot bigger in one direction. Is that related to what we see here? That blurred lights take the shape of the lens aperture. I suppose we are creating an aperture when we squint our eyes since our eye opening becomes much smaller, and that could possibly be making the effect.

angelajyzhang

How are the colors and desnity of bokeh determined? This phenomenon is so interesting to me because I always noticed it in photographer and just called it off as some sort of "lens flare" but it actually has a name and reasoning behind why it happens!