Lecture 15: Cameras & Lenses (35)
jasonkimsoso

Interesting to see that when adjusting the focal length changes how the background is perceived. While increasing focal length can "magnify" the background and create a compressed perspective where we focus on the subject. It seems that there is more blur (?) when you increase our focal length. I guess this background change, makes me wonder what techniques there are to balance this tradeoff and ensure that the background complements well with the subject.

colinsteidtmann

How does zoom and focus work, Ren mentioned it briefly, and I understand why the background in this image is zoomed in, but I'm talking about the zoom that happens when you "zoom in" on something using a zoom button?

keeratsingh2002

@colinsteidtmann Zooming with a camera changes the lens's focal length to make distant objects appear larger, while focusing adjusts the lens to keep these objects sharp. The zoom button on a camera will control optical zoom, altering the angle of view and magnification of the image.

agao25

In the previous slide, Ren explained how the image's composition is based on the distance of the person's face from the lens and how on the plane of the image, the person's face appears as the fraction of the width of the face to the width of the picture (the dotted lines intersected by the camera's FOV lines). With the 200 mm lens though, the photographer had to step way back and we can see the more restricted range/view of the FOV lines which are now more directed down the alley.