Lecture 15: Cameras & Lenses (36)
rishiskhare

In this famous Jaws scene, why does only the background enlarge and not the subjects (husband and wife)? It seems like a very intricate process to make sure the zoom rate is identical to the distance the camera travels backwards.

muuncakez

@rishiskhare to create a dolly zoom the subject (usually) sits still while the camera moves further away or closer while the lens is zooming in the opposite direction of the cameras motions. This video is a fun watch (it also talks about a couple animated dolly zooms too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5JBlwlnJX0

adam2451

I took a videography class in high school and did a Dolly-Zoom for one of the projects and I've spent the last hour looking for it. RIP can't find

jinweiwong

I tried doing the Dolly-Zoom on my phone and it kind of works too :O But I find it so interesting that playing with various camera parameters can create such cool effects in cinematography.

weinatalie

It’s interesting to consider how much thought filmmakers put into using certain camera motions to influence the emotions of the viewer. For example, dolly zooms are an unnatural manipulation of perspective that would not happen naturally; they therefore convey a sense of unease and tension. Dutch angles—shots that are set slightly askew—would have a similar effect. These techniques are typically used in horror movies because of their unnatural effects. Other techniques, such as tracking shots, can be used to make the viewer feel even more immersed, like they’re there with the characters in the scene.

jerrymby

The change of focal length changes the field of view of the camera. The movement of the camera offsets this effect by keep it at a rate that matches that of the focal length change. The object remains the same size on the imaging plane yet the perspective transformation varies.

j-nn

This is so interesting that we manipulate the perception of space and depth, and how we as the viewer feel more uncomfortablle. I looked up more on Wikipedia, and he describes it as a drunk feeling by using the wide view camera.

jacky-p

It is really interesting how certain angles/motions/how its recorded can make you you feel different ways. I believe it is since our body is already programed on how to instinctually react to certain things that we see, this leads us to feel what we see on a screen because in a sense our body has not fully "caught on" that we are just viewing the effect not experiencing it. Kinda like the feeling that you are moving when you are not because peripherally you see something move.

emily-xiao

[deleted]

Songbird94

It’s so interesting to see how people find ways to put the techniques to use!

AnikethPrasad

This is really fascinating. Manipulating camera angles and perspectives really can define the immersive capabilities of a scene.

cvankeuren

I remember a while ago watching a video about the Dolly-Zoom and how it's used for specific effects in cinematography. However, I find it extra interesting now since I know a bit more about how the zoom / change of field of vision actually works. Super cool stuff!

508312

To implement dolly zoom in real life you need to coordinate camera movement and zoom change speed. I believe this is done with a rail and manually adjusting zoom. However, that makes me believe that it is not perfect. Making dolly zoom programmatically(on a rendered scene) would be perfect. I wonder if there are any perspective manipulation techniques which are not possible in real life(due to manipulations needed to achieve them), but possible in computer renders.

508312

AnikethPrasad

This is really interesting! Are there any other commonly used techniques in film which involve manipulating lens calculations?