Lecture 17: Physical Simulation (39)
noah-ku

Particle systems are a versatile method in computer graphics for simulating complex dynamical systems with many interacting particles. These systems are favored due to their simplicity and scalability: they're straightforward to understand and can be tailored for performance or complexity by adjusting the number of particles. Although widely used, especially in visual effects and games, particle systems can pose challenges, such as the need for large numbers of particles for certain simulations like fluids, and the requirement for acceleration structures to efficiently calculate interactions between particles.

rishiskhare

It seems that particle systems usually assume that the individual particles behave relatively independently. For example, snowfall animations usually assume each snowflake is independent of other ones. I wonder how you could efficiently model particle systems with dependencies among the particles, such as particles colliding with each other or some particles impacting other ones.

adam2451

Are there other systems that are used in place of particle systems for representing fluid simulations given the compute needed for that is especially high in particle based systems?

jamespear

I went to the planetarium this Friday and it was interesting for me to see how they implemented a lot of their graphics into showing people how space worked. Their representation of atoms reminds me a lot of this particle representation, so it is interesting to me the beautiful applications of these concepts.

sparky-ed

Moving particles are intestting, but I want to know how the colors are moving with the particles. Also I think there will be a lot of computation assuming that we have to calculate each particle and there will be so many of them. I think this is intersting to see in game engine such as Unity or Unreal. I believe in future, it is possible to move fluid more like real life without much of computation over head. I am excited to see how it changes over the time!