Lecture 17: Physical Simulation (40)
olliep24

Can adding and removing particles from a scene make the scene diverge? More specifically if you add a particle to the scene with some velocity/energy, then could the added energy cause the scene to diverge? I assume you would have to balance the energy coming in through addition and the energy leaving through deletion in order for the scene to stay stable.

lycorisradiatu

@olliep24. I actually had similar question about how the dynamic addition and removal of particles impact the overall stability of the simulation. It seems when particles are added to the scene with velocities or energies, it introduces additional kinetic energy into the system and without proper management to this energy, it could lead to instability and causing the simulation to diverge over time.

colinsteidtmann

I wonder what the runtime of particles simulations needs to be on each frame animation. I'd imagine that the crashing ocean waves simulation has on the order of 1 million particles, so O(n) or better seems necessary. Still, O(n) feels slow for an animation, I wonder if there are tricks to speed it up

dhruvchowdhary

The point about energy balance in particle systems, like when adding or removing particles, is key to keeping simulations realistic. Introducing new particles with energy can change the whole system's behavior, so managing this energy is crucial to prevent simulations from acting unnaturally. This shows the complexity behind creating realistic animations.