Lecture 19: Intro To Color Science (10)
antony-zhao

I think everyone knows about how red is one of the most visible colors to the human eye. Still, this example is really good, at least to me, because it feels almost overwhelmingly red, to the point it's hard to concentrate on some of the other elements of the image like the leaves on the left side.

rcorona

I find your comment super interesting since I had never really thought about which colors are more perceivable to people than others. Qualitatively, I agree that in my own experience red tends to be one of the most distinctive colors.

Somewhat tangential, but I'm reminded how blue and green are much more conflated with each other than red is with either in terms of how the color spectrum is discretized linguistically in different languages.

There are many languages that actually don't really differentiate between green and blue, and as I understand it both are binned into "green":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue%E2%80%93green_distinction_in_language

Boomaa23

@rcorona as I was reading your comment I realized I totally resonate with the blue/green color confusion! A lot of the time I say something is blue and then someone else will say it's green. I had no idea this was a widespread and studied subject and will definitely be doing some more reading into it. Also after reading the link you sent I found it very surprising how prevalent some of the languages with a blue/green single word (and I learned a new word, colexified).

aravmisra

The wiki page on blue green color distinction is super cool! This isn't necessarily graphics related, but I found it interested in how many references to "water" there were- in several languages, for example Javanese, the description given to a blue-green color is attached to the color of water. Perhaps this relates to the significant connection between color theory and how we perceive things around us, like a common entity like water.

ElShroomster

I see your point. Honestly, I just feel an overwhelming amount of sensory activation when I look at this image, and even if I look away, my eyes are drawn right back. Is this something that advertisements might already be using to make their adverts more and more catchy?

weinatalie

Given the discussion on difficulties differentiating between blue and green, it’s somewhat surprising that green is still considered the most visible color to humans. This occurs because green lies in the center of a human’s visual range, where our perception is theoretically at its strongest, but I feel like red tends to grab our attention a lot more. Perhaps green isn’t the most eye-catching color, but the color we can perceive the most shades of, or something along those lines.