Lecture 19: Intro To Color Science (12)
samkhaichi

I saw a review video of EnChroma a few months back. I am pretty sure it is just tinted glasses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QQtOv2PlOE

brandonlouie

I wonder what effect these glasses have on those who don't experience color blindness. I don't think it would actually cause these people to see more colors, but maybe it would make certain colors stand out more? I'm curious to know if anyone without color blindness has tried glasses like these!

jinweiwong

Color blindness arises from "excessive overlap of the green and red color cones in the eye, causing distinct hues to become indistinguishable". The EnChrome glasses work by "selectively filters light to increase contrast between the red and green color signals to account for the overlap". I got this from their website: https://enchroma.com/pages/how-enchroma-glasses-work

snowshoes7

I was going to link that same YouTube video @samkhaichi. It seems like human color perception isn't necessarily as easy to "fix" as is claimed--the realities of colorblindness and why people get it are complicated (not impossible to understand, but people are rightly skeptical of companies like this in my view)

RishSharma7

I actually had a close friend try Enchroma a couple months ago, and they said that it worked decently well for them (granted, it's difficult for them to say how well they work, since they don't know any different). I believe they have red-green color blindness, which is one of the types that Enchroma says they can "fix" more easily. However, just like the commenters above, I am skeptical of the technology involved in the glasses. If it doesn't work for everyone, which Enchroma acknowledges, why not? Seems like they're more of a fashion company trying to fix a problem that they have oversimplified.

aravmisra

It seems that the main value of EnChroma is providing higher contrast between wavelengths of light. This NY Mag article goes into detail: https://nymag.com/strategist/article/color-blind-glasses-enchroma.html#:~:text=Robledo%20and%20his%20colleagues%20conducted,'t%20cure%20color%2Dblindness.

There doesn't seem to be any observed difference in the cone's workings.

theflyingpie

Out of curiosity I did a little searching on how color correcting lenses work. Before learning about these lenses I thought that color blindness was a biological fact unaddressable by physical correctors like lenses. However, it turns out that some types of color blindness in which some colors are still perceived, but faintly, can be corrected by filtering out certain frequencies such that there is less overlap between various color wavelengths.

ElShroomster

Can people who wear these enchroma glasses see the exact same as people with normal vision do, or is there some amount of dullness still in the color distinction? Would it be possible to do something similar with our regular vision and make it so that we can see small distinctions in color outside of what we are normally able to see (both either infrared or ultraviolet) or does this not work that way?

weinatalie

In response to ElShroomster, I believe that night vision goggles actually work by amplifying small amounts of infrared light in the environment. Night vision goggles contain lenses that capture infrared light energy and send it to an image-intensifying tube. This tube converts the photon particles in the light into electrons. As the electrons collide with the walls of the tube, they excite other particles which release their own electrons into this tube. This chain reaction continues until electrons flood into a green phosphor sensor. The phosphor emits its own photons, causing the outgoing images to be tinted green.