Lecture 19: Intro To Color Science (126)
woodenbirds

I was curious about the difference between the primary colors in pigment mixing and in optics. In optics, the mixing of colors follows an additive process, where more layers of color make the result brighter, which turns white finally. In paintings, combining more colors leads to a broader range of wavelengths being absorbed, which makes the result color darker.

jonnypei

@woodenbirds I think the difference between primary pigment colors and optics is that light wave interactions are fundamentally different from pigment colors. Optical colors are additive, while pigment colors are subtractive because they absorb certain types of light (rather than emitting for optical). Hope this helps!

davidmyang

This is super cool because you can see that the intersection of the RGB lights in the photo show yellow, magenta, and cyan. These 3 colors combined with black are the 4 ink colors in printers that combine to do color printing.

s3kim2018

A question I had with colors you could generate as a linear combination of R, G, B values. In monitor pixels, it seems that each pixel had a small area for red, green, blue colors next to each other, but they never intersect. Is it an optical illusion that humans see a color close to the linear combination of the provided color intensities even though they are not intersecting?

yykkcc

Thinking of paint in a painting, I thought that when the paint absorbs certain wavelengths of light, the unabsorbed light will be reflected or transmitted. The reflected or transmitted light mixes together to create the pigment colors we see. For example, if a pigment absorbs blue light, it reflects red and green light, and we see yellow.