Lecture 23: Virtual Reality (1)
brandonlouie

One really popular example of the usage of augmented reality is Pokemon GO, where Pokemon could be displayed in the real world. Your phone's back camera would be used to capture the real world, and Pokemon would appear on the screen to actually exist in that physical space

andrewn3672

I knew what VR and AR was (most people probably do), but I didn't really there was a distinction between MR and the other two. Virtually reality is super obvious where we are looking at a completely virtual world and don't use any of the actual light and things around us to display to the screen. I didn't realize that augmented reality was specifically using the actual light of the real world and combining it with virtual aspects and differentiates from mixed reality where mixed reality although those use the real world surrounding objects to display things, it's still being processed through a screen. Augmented reality would use something like goggles and have additional overlays on what we see in the real world, whereas mixed reality could use a screen and camera to display things.

aravmisra

This was a really interesting insight into MR, which I was not aware of before this (like andrew, I knew about VR / AR). This brought up an interesting question for me- what is the difference between AR / MR in terms of processing incoming light? I assume both have to process all incoming light and AR simply rasterizes to only certain parts of the screen?

yangbright-2001

AR adds elements into the real world we see, just as the example of Pokemen Go. I am quite confused about whether VR contains or combines any element or light of the real world into display? Apple vision pro should have combined the real world background (eg. our room) in display, since the display of virtual "windows" considers the real physical layout of the background room

ElShroomster

From this lecture, I understand that Virtual Reality immerses users in a completely simulated environment, blocking out the physical world entirely with the help of a headset and sometimes other sensory input devices. Users in VR are fully isolated from their actual surroundings and interact solely with the digital environment. On the other hand, Augmented Reality overlays digital information or graphics onto the real-world environment, typically viewed through a device like a smartphone, tablet, or AR glasses. Unlike VR, AR does not replace the real world but enhances it by adding virtual elements that users can interact with while still being aware of their actual surroundings. However, I do not understand how MR is no different from AR, since there is still some reality to it even though it's more virtual. Can anyone explain how these are different?

noah-ku

This slide offers a comparison between Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR), as well as introduces the concept of Mixed Reality (MR). VR encompasses a fully immersive experience where the user is entirely enclosed in a computer-generated world, relying solely on the visual inputs provided by a VR headset. AR, on the other hand, superimposes digital information onto the real world, enhancing the user's current perception of reality with additional data or graphics—as exemplified in popular culture by the "Terminator" films.

zepluc

I am curious about difference between AR, VR and MR too, so I found this website could be quite helpful: https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/beyond-ar-vs-vr-what-is-the-difference-between-ar-vs-mr-vs-vr-vs-xr?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw_e2wBhAEEiwAyFFFo1yPVvh3mgfM62iaucGzIECHb1MGnfd3PGxxCYG3daUzkrv3AWw7WhoC-WgQAvD_BwE

yykkcc

This is the first time I heard about MR in which virtual objects are not only superimposed on the real-world scene but also able to interact with real-world objects. This means that mixed reality devices not only recognize the user's physical environment but also understand that environment so that virtual content can interact with real-world objects and surfaces. This sounds more difficult to achieve than pure VR or AR

wilrothman

I think I heard about AR in the context of theme park attractions. I know that the new Mario Kart ride at Universal Studios Hollywood uses AR to both show you the ride details and overlay a game. The game isn't particularly interesting and is very gimmicky, but it would be cool to see the future entertainment and practical applications of AR as a rising technology. Like for example, I could see it helping surgeons in the future include better decision and technique for procedures and law enforcement/military technology. Very cool stuff!

jacky-p

As my peers previous mentioned, I knew most about VR and a bit of AR (most cases where I knew of it but did not realize at the time it was AR, kinda like snapchat filters and other apps). But, I had never considered the possibility of MR, I always thought that it one either strictly VR or AR. I am a little confused on how MR can be a blend of both, but from what I understand it can be like VR but there is still areas/aspects where one can "see" through out to the real world as well.

saif-m17

I'm not entirely sure what the distinction is between AR and MR. I'm in particular a bit confused on how we can blend AR and VR, since VR seems to say someone is completely immersed in the environment.

OnceLim

Though I am still not entirely sure of the difference between AR and MR, I think a great example of MR would be Apple Vision Pro where the user wears a VR goggle that also overlays AR objects on the real world through the lens of the goggle.

RishSharma7

I think Apple's Virtual Reality Team is the next big thing on the market, or perhaps the most recent. I've heard it can completely transform your entire living space, allow you to immerse yourself in previous photos and videos, and make it feel like you can watch a movie in 3D. To touch on the top comment here, it's crazy to see how far augmented realty has come from the Pokemon GO days. Any ideas what we'll be seeing in 2030?

AlsonC

I've found VR to be really interesting in consumer settings, where storefronts are hosted online instead of in the real world

aravmisra

Like many of the other commenters, I was a bit confused about Mixed Reality. Microsoft's webpage on it, including documentation links and some helpful articles was pretty useful: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/mixed-reality/

I'd recommend perusing some of the specific tools and devkits they have, as they offer explicit use cases for MR.

Songbird94

I used to buy anime AR cards that let you scan them and display characters in real world… Sometimes the sizes and angles would get messed up. I used to wonder how did the camera know the size of everything to adjust the visualization

AbhiAlderman

Is there a noticeable difference for the user when it comes to MR vs AR? It seems like for the user both systems would provide the same experience, as seeing the real world overlaid with various images/videos. I understand that mechanically, one lets real light into the users eyes from the outside world and the other uses cameras to capture the outside world and display it to the user, but would someone new to VR headsets be able to tell the difference between the two?

Hsong159

If VR refers to a completely immersive experience where the user is inside a virtual world and AR involves overlaying digital information on the real world, I am wondering h ow do the hardware requirements for VR differ from those for AR and MR

S-Muddana

AR unlocks so many new quality of life features such as live facetime or even holograms. The technology we see in movies can finally be emulated.