Lecture 23: Virtual Reality (2)
rishiskhare

If I recall correctly, CRTs have heating issues, so I wonder if placing CRTs this close to a person's eyes is safe.

snowshoes7

@rishiskhare true, but you'd think given that they operate with electron guns that that would be more of an immediate concern, right? Either way it's good this didn't catch on

Liaminamerica2

human eyes also aren't machines that can take in lots of light for long periods; if they see things that are too hectic or changing too fast, they will get a headache. I wonder how new vr headsets are fitted through hardware and software to the human eye.

RishSharma7

Liam brings up a really good point here, and after a little bit of research, it looks like the most common issue (similar to the one you mentioned) that people face with VR is getting motion sickness. That makes sense if you think about it. The brain is completely unused to "seeing" the way that we do with augmented and virtual reality. I bet these companies are banking on "people will eventually get used to it" to solve issues like these.

Boomaa23

This is a very interesting point; VR companies seem to be marketing VR headsets as the "way of the future" etc etc but with the motion sickness issues I'm not sure if that will come true. And as @RishSharma7 said, it doesn't seem like this is something these companies are focusing on. That being said, there probably is some research going on behind closed doors so as to make this technology applicable to a wider audience. Similar perhaps to how we have dramamine for motion sickness on boats.

AlsonC

I wonder if early Virtual Reality Research had any health issues associated with them -- I would imagine early choice of materials and use of various wavelengths wouldn't be the most properly studied