Lecture 23: Virtual Reality (3)
MillerHollinger

We discussed different headset designs in CS 160. The three categorizations we discussed were "fully virtual" -- the entire screen is digital (HTC Vive), "video passthrough" where a real-life video is recorded and then displayed on a screen alongside digital elements (Apple Vision), and "video overlay" where a thin piece of transparent material works as a miniature screen, but you still see the real world through it.

jacky-p

I have not followed too closely the recent Apple Vision Pro but I do recall that they were said to have some AR capabilities. I remember being shocked because I thought this headset would be completely VR, such as other iterations of similar products on this slide. Upon further research of the product I have come to find that the Vision Pro is in fact not a see through lens but rather has various camera feeds that allows you to "see" the outside world as if it were a lens. Learning this helps slightly with my confusion with MR since I feel like this seems like an MR capability. For example being in VR but also the light feed being provided is largely your actual surroundings with modifications through cameras.

RishSharma7

To add onto what Miller mentioned at the end of his comment, I think the element of adding things to the real world by using a transparent material for virtual reality adds a completely new element/twist to what we previously envisioned for VR. The Apple Vision Pro has sort of made that the heart and soul of their product, and for the most part I think it works very well (at least according to the reviews I have read online), so I bet the main issue they're running into with the product is its insane price point. Interesting to see how we can take similar technology and make completely different products with it.

AlsonC

I wonder how much the computational power has improved over the course of life from the first oculus rift to the modern vr headsets such as the vision pro?

el-refai

All of these head-mounted displays are really cool but the biggest issue I feel with these especially considering how high fidelity the vision pro is now is the battery life. For people to use this it needs to last a long time which requires a large battery but these batteries can't too large or else they'll be cumbersome to move around with. Really curious as to how companies plan to address this.

ShonenMind

@el-refai from different clips that I've seen, it looks like the battery usually fits inside their pocket, and they can just walk around with a cord connected from the vision pro to the battery, so maybe not too cumbersome?