Lecture 23: Virtual Reality (56)
nickjiang2378

Basically, the challenge here is that our eyes will automatically focus on the object right in front of us based on where we're looking (we also have control over the eye muscles). But this is hard to replicate in VR headsets.

ElShroomster

I've been to the optometrist recently and they made me focus on a barn that looked far away and they adjusted something so that it became less blurry even though I was looking at a 2D object. Is that similar to what is being described on this slide?

ttalati

How exactly does the eye do accommodation. If the back of the eye is the same place do we simply just somehow have a mechanism to adjust the lens of the eye in order to change the physical focal length?

angelajyzhang

I wonder if VR headsets utilize accommodation to imitate the double vision that we have with our eyes based on distance. For instance, normally, it's harder to see double vision of faraway objects compared to an object right in front of us. Does VR use distance to take that into account? i.e. when we put on our headsets, do our eyes need to turn inward more to focus on a closer object and reduce double vision more like we do in real life or is it about the same no matter the distance of the object?

noah-ku

Accommodation refers to the eye's ability to change its lens shape to focus on objects at different distances. The diagrams show how the eye's lens adjusts to focus light from distant or near objects onto the retina. Vergence is the coordinated movement of both eyes to ensure an object is positioned at the center of each retina, which is crucial for depth perception. The illustrations depict how the eyes rotate inwards or outwards to align the visual axis with the object's location. Together, these mechanisms enable us to perceive depth and maintain a clear, single image of the objects in our environment.