Lecture 23: Virtual Reality (86)
aidangarde

I wonder how increasing the field of veiw affects latency, and how the tradeoff between field of view and latency affects the overall realism of the experience. I’m sure the latency is the chief variable for realism, but the smaller the field of view, the more “pinhole” the experience, as if wearing a mask. My guess is that having a field of view wide enough for total immersion when looking straight is adequate.

anavmehta12

Pincushion Distortion occurs when the magnification of the image increases with the distance from the optical axis which causes those straight lines to appear curved inward.

wilrothman

Before seeing this slide, I always thought VR had a curved screen to represent a curved surface. I guess using a lens is a much easier-- and cheaper-- approach. I understand that this allows a much higher FOV than a screen, but not the maximum possible human FOV. I wonder if the full FOV is possible with simply lenses, if there is another solution, or if it is just completely impossible. I am also interested in seeing how these lenses are designed and determined, and if there is a technical way to implement dynamically-changing lensing.

muuncakez

After seeing this slide I have the same question as @wilrothman... I wonder too if our current camera lens tech can achieve a more human FOV or what else can be added to the headset to do so. And would manipulating what is on the screen in some way fix lens caused distortion by accounting for it? If so, how? And would that fix make developing things for vr harder?

Edge7481

Tangential question but why do vr systems generally not have integrated support for people with glasses? Is it something that can be accomplished digitally or will it need actual lenses on top of the display as well? Considering that most of the world wear glasses now it seems weird that it's still such an uncomfortable experience