Lecture 9: Ray Tracing & Acceleration Structures (7)
pranavkolluri

This would be considered fully-path traced rendering, right? I've seen that some games have been getting fully path-traced rendering modes and have been curious as to how that's even accomplished. Is it just throwing enough parallel compute units at the problem, or is there more techniques borrowed from rasterization to ease up on the render load.

etam1

This idea of recursive ray tracing is really fascinating to me as the process of rays reflecting and bouncing off surfaces is able to create lifelike shadows, visuals, and reflections. I wonder how workers who work with ray tracing determine how many rays is needed per pixel or another metric so that it is realistic. All while keeping a balance of quick rendering time.

sritejavij

Recursive ray tracing sounds really interesting to me, and I know it'll likely be covered in future lectures, but I'm curious at what point do we know a light has no more effect on the visuals of a frame? As in, as we follow a light ray through a scene, at what point does it become too faint to have a visual effect and how do we know by what degree each bounce deteriorates its look?

el-refai

@sritejavji every object has a reflective index which determines what amount of the light hitting it is reflected back so that's how we can know to what degree the ray deteoriates. as for stopping the rendering I assume we have a threshold where past a certain amount of lost light we just stop bothering to calculate it.