Lecture 13: Global Illumination and Path Tracing (46)
fywu85

It is interesting to see that the glass ball only gets illuminated on and after the third application of operator K. Also, the focus of light inside the shadow of the glass ball is quite strange. The intensity of the focused light appears to me to be very unrealistic...

gprechter

@fywu85 I also think it's really interesting that the glass ball only gets illuminated after 3 bounces. I think this actually might be related to the fact that the rays are actually going through the sphere. So, the light from the wall around and behind the sphere is arriving from the light source, then after bouncing off of that it has to enter the sphere, and then after than the light has to be emitted from the sphere on the other side, for a total of 3 bounces.

youtuyy

I agree with that the light goes through the ball. So the 3 bounces should be from the light to the top of sphere, from the top to the bottom of sphere and then to the floor below the ball.