Lecture 17: Intro to Animation, Kinematics, Motion Capture (14)
yunerzxy

I started following CG blogs from the beginning of the semester, and the repeated topics I saw in most articles was photorealism. For non-photorealism, the goal is always to create artistic effects, or even something that human cannot come up with. However, animation is meant to violate such standard, and becomes a special topic in the realm of CG. The communicative nature enables animation to reach out to a larger targeted audience.

ayushsm

While I understand that animation not being photorealistic helps open up opportunities for art and break some laws of the "real world", is it also a part of the reason for why people tend to view animation as childish? It seems to me that a lot of animation is generally viewed as being catered to younger audiences, despite a large amount of animation addressing many adult topics.

Michael-hsiu

That could be part of the reason. Animation might also be viewed as being "looser", as by not being photorealistic, it doesn't have to obey the laws of physics, motion, etc., giving artists more liberties. In a way, non-photorealistic animation doesn't have to deal with the constraints of appearing to be physically lifelike.

go-lauren

I think it's also because a lot of the feature animation films are catering to younger audiences: films like Frozen or Tangled, Finding Nemo, and also a lot of children's TV shows are animated or partially animated: Blue's Clues, Scooby-Doo, Caillou (the one's I watched lol). This may be partially because child actors tend to not be great??(I could be wrong), so producers use animations and older actors with child-like voices to act as younger characters.