Lecture 17: Intro to Animation, Kinematics, Motion Capture (43)
jpark96

Why would we want robustness to external forces? In animation, don't we have control over all of our external forces?

frankieeder

@jpark96 I imagine that if we are talking about natural external forces such as gravity, wind, etc., the sanctity of those models might be more important than the most accurate approximation of the goal movement path (in the interest of believability of the animation).

keirp

I agree. When humans walk they cannot perfectly predict external forces, forcing them to develop a motion that is robust. That might be why we would care about this for creating nice looking animations.

go-lauren

I never thought that joint movement would be a consideration when it comes to describing a character's personality, but I guess after thinking about it it kind of makes sense. And there's research about this topic too! http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~neff/papers/HandMotionPersonality.pdf

isaaclee06

In mentioning using data from motion capture equipment I think it would be cool to use machine learning algorithms to capture specific "styles" of behavior. Like you could have a "sneaky" style or something and use a bunch of motion capture data of people sneaking around to find more relevant ways to represent this style of motion