Lecture 18: Physical Simulation (25)
ayushsm

Is the red springs being weaker due to the length between them? Based on slides 14/15 for Hooke's Law, it seems like that is the case. In that case, is there any point where our blue springs might actively contribute a lot to preventing out-of-plate bending in comparison to the red springs?

sunsarah

Are the springs just added on one side of the structure? or are they added on both? If they're added on one side, isn't the structure going to be predisposed to bending in one direction? Is there a reason we don't care about in-plane bending?

dtseng

You can definitely create some really nice simulations from simple spring models. For example, an undergrad (now PhD student) in my lab published a paper using this kind of idea: https://goldberg.berkeley.edu/pubs/2017-icra-cutting-final.pdf

yzyz

I think that we want the red springs to be much weaker since materials like cloth do bend quite easily compared to how much they stretch, which would be controlled by the blue springs. We want the red springs not to completely prevent bending but rather to just give some resistance to bending.

zehric

@sunsarah I think the concept of "side" doesn't really matter here, since Hooke's Law is symmetric.

eddylan2894

Should it be "This structure will resist shearing"?