Lecture 25: Virtual & Augmented Reality (33)
Carpetfizz

It's really neat how we can "hack" our perception of reality to the point where we can create an artificial field of view without being limited by biological constraints. I'm interested in why they chose to have two lenses and how they decided on their properties.

gprechter

One thing that I've personally noticed when using a VR headset that I'd like to know if others have experienced is nausea when the VR environment moves in ways that my body is not moving while using the application. It's strange to have the viewpoint change without actually moving such that the viewpoint changes in that way.

I've noticed that a lot of VR games deal with this issue by forcing the player to not move through walking, but rather through teleportation or vehicle transport. I wonder if there are any perceptual mechanisms that can be worked with to combat this effect.

henryzxu

This goes slightly beyond the domain of optics, but there are companies that are working on VR treadmills--Infinadeck is one that comes to mind. One of the biggest barriers is cost; a dev kit reportedly costs $30,000. Another issue is the nature of the acceleration, although I'm a bit fuzzy on this topic. I believe it has something to do with the treadmill imparting acceleration that isn't present when you normally walk.