Lecture 9: Raytracing (49)
knguyen0811

Can someone clarify how we decide which side of the split is left and which is right? E.g. in this example the plane defined by B has the green area on the left and orange area on the right. Is there some right hand rule I'm missing?

muminovic

On the next slide it seems like when you're creating a new level of the tree, the child that is physically higher up in the vertical dimension is made the left node, although I'm not sure if this is some convention, a coincidence, or an intentional implementation detail

muminovic

[deleted]

emilyzhong

Mentioned this on the next slide, but it feels a little reminiscent of huffman encoding trees, where children/parent nodes are based off the frequency of appearance — maybe in this case, it has to do with the size of the space?

moridin22

@knguyen0811 I think the choice of what to put on the left or right nodes doesn't actually matter, the logic of deciding which side of the split a ray passes through requires more complicated logic than just picking the left or right child of a node.