Lecture 9: Ray Tracing (7)
SainanChen

Do we assume only 1 ray passing every pixel? Can we also apply the supersampling idea here to improve the result?

SainanChen

Another question I have is that the ray passes the glass ball without changing the direction and later hits the triangle. Shouldn't there be refraction, or are there actually lights in all directions?

philippe-eecs

^You could process more rays per pixel, though it is probably not worth the cost. Ray tracing and rays are extremely expensive and doing more than is needed to get a decent image will just tax your GPU. Though there are probably some methods that try.

One question I had is how to deal with black body systems that absorb all forms of light, there are some cool distortion effects from space like simulators/movies/renders caused by blackholes so it would be interesting to see how to trace rays in situations like that that absorb all forms of light (especially the lens/distortion effect on the outside)

briana-jin-zhang

For your second question, I would say that if the ball depicted were glass, the direction would change, but I think we are assuming this is not the case right now. I don't think there are lights in all directions at the moment.