Lecture 15: Cameras & Lenses (105)
AlbertScribblenaut

Bokehs have also been mistaken for UFOs (Corridor Crew: VFX artists DEBUNK Pentagon UFO Videos).

StephenYangjz

I think Bokeh is actually the kind of effect that people in computational photography are working hard toward because computational out-of-focus effects often do not look as natural and pretty.

lucywan

It's really interesting that something you would think people do not want in their photos (blur) is so prized in photography. I would've thought camera's that eliminated blur would be more expensive.

melodysifry

^Going off of the above comment, it's fascinating how something like Bokeh is something that is almost entirely nonexistent in our natural vision- We get something that looks kind of like Bokeh when looking at lights through teary or squinted eyes, but the Bokeh effect that we see here is something that came out of photography, not our natural vision. And yet, it's something that's considered so beautiful that people actively try to recreate it in their photos, even though it's not "natural" to our eyes. I've even seen some painters who try to recreate Bokeh effects in their paintings- it's cool how technology can give rise to aesthetic symbols that are so salient in our visual lexicon that never would have existed before.