Lecture 18: Color Science (42)
ethanweber

Wow, I've seen this many times but never with the incremental occlusions! It's really interesting to see how any partial occlusions still causes our color perception to make distinctions between the square colors. Here is another site showing the illusion: https://www.illusionsindex.org/ir/checkershadow.

melodysifry

It's interesting how in the link posted by the comment above, since the checkerboard disappears by fading out over a short time interval, it's not just that block A and block B suddenly appear to be the same color, but block B actually appears to transform and change colors to become darker. When flipping through this slide and the previous one where the context is removed abruptly, I can see A and B suddenly become the same color, but keeping my eyes on block B, the color doesn't appear to actually change. When the context is removed more gradually like in the visualization in the link above, the color appears to actually change drastically.

somaniarushi

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I could have sworn the color of B changed between the last slide and this one -- the way human brains perceive things is so fascinating, and this is a wild example of that!

aramk-hub

Definitely one of the most interesting illusory type of things to play around with haha. In relation to the first comment, I have also never seen it with any incremental occlusions, and that really shows how the difference takes shape over time. Much appreciate that detail!