Lecture 6: Rasterization Pipeline (27)
sha-moose

What other problems get raised when we use the 1/r compromise? If we want to render a dark room, would this not be a bad assumption and make this light not as dramatic as it would be? Is there a technique where the light intensity falloff is parameterized depending on the material?

Sicheng-Pan

In reality there may exists multiple physical mechanisms that can ameliorate light intensity falloff. Is there a reason why we use 1r\frac{1}{r} instead of other decaying function?

StaffDanCubed

This slide reminded me of a video that I watched years ago. I think it was a video explaining why camera recordings (or computer renderings) in low-light situations tend to look terrible. I tried to find it to no avail, so I’m wondering if such a difficulty really do exist, and if it does is it related to this problem with light falloff shown here?

adityasingh7311

@sha-moose I guess 1/r is just one possible model. If it doesn't make your dark room look the way you want you can always try a different model. From my understanding light intensity is a property of the light source. I suppose how an object absorbs or reflects light could be influenced by its material but I personally would think this is a separate parameter to be tuned rather than the behavior of the light source/model.