Lecture 6: Rasterization Pipeline (68)
Gabe-Mitnick

There's an awesome "international computer art subculture" called the demoscene that includes competitive creative shader coding. Last summer, I met this guy and he taught me the basics of how to make this kind of art with GLSL. There are tons of awesome examples of this style of art on a site called Shadertoy. The guy who made that site also has great YouTube walkthroughs of some of his shaders. All of the 3D geometry is actually generated by the shader, often using a technique called Signed Distance Fields, rather than loading in a triangle mesh like traditional graphics.

The demoscene is most active in Europe and they have huge events called "demoparties" with livecoding competitions and other nerdy awesomeness. If anyone knows about any current demoscene activities, hit me up, because I'd love to get more into it.

SeanW0823

Is there any way we can evaluate how well a shader program performs or are we just looking at how well the rendering turns out in a subjective manner?