Lecture 5: Texture (2)
brandonlouie

In this slide, is there a texture map for the lane? To me, it makes sense for the bowling pins to have texture maps since they're 3D objects with static/non-dynamic images over them. I wondered if the lane also has texture maps because I think the lane is also being rendered in this image? One thing about the lane I thought was really cool is that it has a reflection, which is dynamic and not static! It led me to wonder about dynamic texture maps. Is that something that exists? Or is it the case that the lane doesn't have a texture map and instead has some other properties for reflection

Mehvix

presumably yes, according to prior slide

Jamie-Walton

Hi @brandonlouie! I really like your questions and they bring up a lot of interesting points. I'm going to do my best to take a stab at answering: First, I'm guessing that the lane flooring does have a texture map to make perspective possible (which would be especially important if the view pans out from this frame). Even though it's a much less pronounced case, it seems like another version of the grid example later in the slides, where the lane becomes more magnified as it's positioned closer to the eye point.

Jamie-Walton

As for the second question, my guess is that the dynamic quality needs a second algorithm to modify the texture map, like a wrapper on top of the texture wrapping. Last year, there was a lecture on illumination that I found helpful (https://cs184.eecs.berkeley.edu/sp23/lecture/13/global-illumination-and-path-tra). It showed some equations for reflection that I think must be incorporated here. Hopefully we'll cover it in more depth later in the course and get a real answer (which I'm sure will be much more accurate than mine).