Lecture 15: Cameras and Lenses (91)
gprechter

I think it's really interesting that in photography and in computer graphics there is an emphasis of taking into account human vision and then also considering how to simulate photography. It made me think about how there are many elements discussed in this lecture, especially field of view, that are very unrealistic in human vision but are useful in photography to tell a bigger story. It's interesting to me because I think that some of the topics covered today would be applied in computer graphics in ways that model not how we really see reality, but instead how we see reality through the lens of a camera, which is likely more familiar to us through the screen of a computer.

eliot1019

Confused about something the professor said: why does choosing to have a smaller aperture lead to a longer shutter duration?

I thought these were 2 separate parameters where the size of aperture controls dof while shutter duration controls motion blur.

sirejdua

@eliot1019 If you have a constant shutter duration and consider the effect of decreasing the aperture size, then you will find that the images with smaller apertures are not as bright; this is because with a smaller aperture, more light is blocked out. So, to compensate for this issue, with a smaller aperture, you can increase the shutter duration to keep the brightness the same.