Lecture 17: Intro to Animation, Kinematics, Motion Capture (18)
jpark96

When motion isn't a sphere, the animation gets more difficult since pieces move at different rates. Even looking at the dog's ears, we see that it's being "pulled forward" by the dog's jump in frame 1 and "pulled back" by the dog's landing in frame 4. I'm sure you can model the dog, place densities on each of the dog's parts, and run a complicated physics engine nowadays, but it's much more impressive that animators back in the day intuitively knew what all parts of the dog should look like at the next frame.

amandaawan

I agree with jpark96. It's kind of interesting too because I feel like my own personal intuitive understanding of what happens in real life were through different animations I see on tv as a younger child. For example, from watching Tom and Jerry, I thought that if you dropped a bowling ball from a table top onto the ground, it will breakthrough the floorboards (which is not the case. there could be a dent however, depending on the material of the floorboards).