Lecture 25: Virtual & Augmented Reality (13)
frankieeder

The definition of augmented reality seems quite vague according to this and the current field of research. It seems that holding a phone that is recording can be considered Augmented Reality; this is a computer generated view of the world imposed onto (part of) our view.

tanmayghai18

I thought the definition of augmented reality was also quite vague, so I attempted to google the comparison between the two and I found this resource from Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/tech-tips-and-tricks/virtual-reality-vs-augmented-reality.html

youtuyy

In my mind, the major difference between VR and AR is whether you can still see the real world. For VR, you will be completely immerse in the virtual scene. Besides, I also find MR (mixed reality) that combines AR and VR so that user can interact with both digital objects and the real world.

x-fa19

I agree with youtuyy; AR, as the name implies, literally "augments" reality, overlaying something virtual over what we see in the real world. Exhibit A: Pokemon Go, in which virtual critters pop up on your phone when you aim your camera somewhere in the real world. Virtual reality, on the other hand, has very little reliance on our physical surroundings, and instead focuses on literally crafting a virtual world for people to become immersed in.

Pinbat

Here are some general industry-accepted terms for what we're seeing. XR is a term that's coming to be used more and more (mainly due to Unity's changing of "VR" to "XR" in their engine), and is the umbrella term that encompasses all computer-aided reality spaces. VR is on one end of the spectrum where everything is generated by a computer. AR is on the other end where computer-generated components overlay our vision in the real world. MR is the vague term that falls somewhere between the two terms on the spectrum. If you're interested in learning more, VR@B has some info from the DeCal we host! https://vr.berkeley.edu/decal/

AnastasiaMegabit

So would Google Glass have been like augmented reality then? I'm curious why they got so much push back to the point that they stopped selling there product when there is clearly still interest in AR. This picture specifically would hit some of the same markers the public complained about with Google Glass.