Lecture 9: Raytracing (14)
youtuyy

Some non-specular surfaces are paper, wood and clay. In comparison, metals and glass will have specular reflection. On the other side, those non-specular surfaces could have diffuse reflection, in which case light is scattered at random directions after reflection. Many surfaces could have both specular and diffuse reflection.

pbaumbacher

What do we mean by a "physically-based illumination model" that we will derive later? The model shown here seems to correspond pretty closely to a ray-optics model of light. Will we be looking at some kind of wave model later on?

xiaoyankang

Found a useful chapter (linked here: http://www.fsz.bme.hu/~szirmay/ray.pdf) that explains recursive ray tracing and contains relevant pseudo-code algorithms.

muminovic

If there are many light sources, and for some pixel in the scene its shadow rays lead to multiple light sources without any obstructions in the path, how does this influence the calculation for the color at that pixel? It seems like it would be more complicated than just some binary thing where it's either in a light source's path or not, since you could have varying types of light sources (different brightnesses, colors, etc.). How does all that factor in?

chenwnicole

How do we compute where the recursive rays should point?

aparikh98

How much extra information about each of the objects do we need to store? Things like surface material are pretty obvious, but I imagine that with ray tracing being used to make images hyper realistic, people may include a lot more than that

Jordanwyli

Yeah it seems like Ray tracing can allow for a lot more detail, at the expense of more computation and data use. But the effects probably turn out more sophisticated than simple rasterization, like for example we would have the effect of light sources.

surelywang

In reference to the second bullet point, what does it mean for a hit point to be blocked? Does it refer to cutting into another object?

gprechter

I was thinking about how ray tracing is essentially finding out what the image should look like based on the light source and the position of the eye point, which in this case I guess would just be some arbitrary point beyond the screen of the computer. I did some research about the possibilities of actually using eye tracking to determine the location of the eye point and I discovered that there are strides being made using eye tracking to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of ray tracing: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0545/9f453f18c4bce2a32725b1072d3ab6c34e31.pdf The prospect of being able to use eye tracking in combination with ray tracing is really interesting to me, I wonder if using eye tracking it would be possible to create a somewhat "3D" scene for the viewer, having the screen re-render based on the position of the eye point.

isaaclee06

It makes so much sense to start from the eye rather than tracing back all the interactions of a surface. I think this concept is a really neat way to conceptualize the whole process and this diagram helped me learn and understand this well