Lecture 9: Raytracing (32)
jgforsberg

In a scene with lots of small objects next to each other (like the table in the courtyard from earlier slides), would using bounding volumes on each item help? I feel like the volumes would overlap with each other and we might end up testing more objects then we would have without the bounding volumes. Would it be helpful to have larger bounding volumes that hold multiple nearby small objects?

Jordanwyli

@jgforsberg, yeah I would assume one optimization would be to group nearby bounding volumes. But then again, I'm curious if the bounding volumes must be cuboids and spheres, or if there is some sort of free form bounding volume we could define. Edit: in the later slides, the professor explains why axis aligned bounding boxes are preferred.

spopat

To summarize what was stated in lecture: if the bounding box is axis-aligned (as in the second teapot pictured) there’s more free space to test but the tests themselves are cheaper than if the bounding box is just tightly wrapped around the teapot (first teapot).

nathanpetreaca

These volumes don’t just have to be rectangular. Scroll down to common types and observe; there are cuboids, capsules, ellipsoids, etc ... each with their tradeoffs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounding_volume