Lecture 6: Rasterization Pipeline (31)
jcebreros1

Why can't we add ambient shading to our z-buffer algorithm? It seems to me as if ambient shading is no different as adding an extra layer of color since every pixel will get the same constant color

caokevinc

In the case of multiple light sources, is I_a implemented as a sum of intensities? And does I_a factor in distances of lighting sources or do we just hand wave that away. I'd be curious to see how changing k_a affects how real the scene looks.

ecorriere

I think that I_a represents the mentioned "constant color" adjust lighting and account for some other issues. So with multiple sources, I'd imagine diffuse and specular lighting would consider each while ambient shading adds this single constant factor. And since this is constant, the equation does not consider radius (as there is no source) from source

Staffjessicajyeh

@jcebreros1 I suppose it's possible to add ambient shading to the z-buffer algorithm, but ambient shading is one component of the blinn-phong reflection model, so it can be convenient to consider alongside diffuse and specular shading.